Project & Programme (Business Case) Assessment
Based on research completed at Cranfield School of Management, incorporating industry best practice and learning from practical application.
Proving have developed a rigorous and effective methodology and process, supported by a powerful software toolkit, for the appraisal of proposed organisational project investment; typically presented in the form of a Business Case.
The methodology assesses the Attractiveness & Achievability of a project or programme, answering two key questions:
- What are the scale of tangible benefits that can be confidently realised and how much will they contribute towards the stated strategic objectives?
- Can we successfully deliver the stated objectives of the project, within the known constraints (Financial, Resources and Timescales)
The comprehensive framework for Business Case assessment is illustrated in the diagram below. The dimensions used can be configured to reflect the specific characteristics and priorities of the project and client organisation.
The Proving Project/Programme Appraisal process is endorsed by CIPFA and accredited to Gold Standard by APMG.
Proving provides the following services in support of Project/Programme Assessment:
- Independent project/programme reviews, either project specific or portfolio wide.
- Facilitation and support for internally-led reviews.
- The tools and training for organisations to undertake and embed their own reviews, using the Proving methodology.
If you are interested in any of the above Services, please contact Proving Services email@example.com
Advantages & Benefits
The Proving approach to Project Portfolio assessment and improvement provides a wide range of proven business benefits, including:
- A proven process that clearly highlights those projects which will have low benefits contribution towards the organisation’s stated Strategic Objectives and/or fail to meet the criteria for achievability and performance.
- Supports the concept of Gateway Reviews. For each Gateway Stage, the tool can be configured to reflect the relevant assessment criteria appropriate to that stage.
- Provides a logical, structured and easy-to-follow process and toolkit for Project Portfolio assessment, based on industry-recognised best practice.
- Enables a wide range of stakeholders to engage and contribute to the assessment, capturing and reporting on stakeholder perceptions, concerns and commendations.
- Enables the assessment of qualitative and quantitative factors within a consistent analytical framework so allowing the analysis of subjective and objective factors.
- Delivers clear and flexible reporting that supports confident decision-making at all levels of the organisation.